Friday 23 March to Sunday 25 March 2018
New College, Oxford
Registration is now OPEN. Click here to register.
- Prof Sigal Ben-Porath, University of Pennsylvania
- Prof Michael Merry, University of Amsterdam
Plenary Symposium: Inclusion and Exclusion in Educational Experience
- Prof Nuraan Davids, University of Stellenbosch
- Dr Gale McLeod, University of Edinburgh
- Dr Morten Korsgaard, Malmö University/Stig Skov Mortensen, Association of Folk High Schools in Denmark
Pre-conference Workshop: Beyond the PhD - What next?
- Steve Brammall and Emma Williams
Call for Papers
Submissions are invited for the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain Annual Conference. Submissions should have a philosophical bearing on education and may vary from an examination of a philosophical issue in its connection with education to a philosophical analysis of some aspect of current educational theory, research, policy or practice. The educational bearing of the paper should be rendered explicit in the text and, normally, in the title.
Please note the submission deadline: 4 December 2017.
Each year the PESGB awards scholarships to full time schoolteachers (0.8 FTE or above) wishing to attend its annual Oxford conference for the first time.
The PESGB is delighted to announce the award of up to 4 scholarships this year. These are offered by open competition and are worth up to £310. They cover:
- the conference fee, including full board accommodation for two nights in Oxford (equivalent to £225)
- a contribution to travel costs (up to £85)
Initial orientation to the conference will be provided to successful applicants. Teachers attending an academic conference for the first time may appreciate having identified colleagues to attend some sessions with them and talk the papers through afterwards. It is expected that successful applicants will negotiate the particular kinds of support they would appreciate with us.
Interested teachers who meet the selection criteria should:
- Email their name, contact details and a short expression of interest (100 words maximum) explaining reasons for wishing to attend the conference to email@example.com on or before 4pm on 5.2.2018.
- Provide a short letter of support of a senior member of their school's leadership team or similar e.g. headteacher/principal/ Officer of a professional association/ academic supervisor.
Applicants will be expected to:
- Attend the conference in full (except where agreed in advance with the Society, for example, due to teaching commitments) and
- After the conference write a short reflective blog piece for the PEGSB website/ a social media forum used by teachers based on their experience of attending the conference or one aspect of it.
Applications will reviewed by a panel of members of the PESGB Executive Committee. Members of the panel will provide brief feedback on request in cases where applications are unsuccessful but reserve the right not to engage in lengthy correspondence.
- Successful applicants will be expected to pay the conference fee in advance, sign a written declaration confirming their status as a full time serving teacher and to attend the conference in full, unless special arrangements have been agreed in advance with the PESGB Executive.
- The fee will be reimbursed and a contribution made to travel upon receipt of the blog post and travel receipts, up to a total of award of £310.
- Reimbursements are conditional on applicants meeting all the requirements of the award.
- The Society reserves the right to withdraw the award at any time if applicants are found to have provided the panel with false information.
Many congratulations to the 2017 Teacher Scholars and thanks to them too for the valuable contribution they made to the event. They are:
- John McCall, Allerton Grange School, Leeds
- Rachel Whiteley, Queen Elizabeth School, Kirkby Lonsdale
- Elizabeth O'Brien, Our Lady’s School in Terenure, South Dublin
- Chris Beschi, Art Department, Kingsbury High School
Following and Sharing
Conference updates will be posted here and on our Facebook page (facebook.com/PhilOfEdGB). You can also follow the conference on Twitter via @PhilOfEdGB using #pesgb18.