- Prof Randall Curren, author of Why character education?
- Dr Patrick Roach, Deputy Secretary General of the NASUWT
- Prof Judith Suissa, author of Anarchism and Education
- Toby Young, Director of the New Schools Network
- Prof Michael Hand, editor of IMPACT (Chair)
Randall Curren welcomes the political support character education presently enjoys, but contends that greater clarity about the nature, benefits and acquisition of good character is essential. In particular, he argues that too narrow a focus on traits like perseverance and resilience is a serious mistake: these traits are only virtues when they are part of a wider set of moral and intellectual qualities, and when their exercise is guided by good judgment.
IMPACT pamphlets are published by the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain in conjunction with Wiley and are available to download free from the Wiley Online Library. Launch attendees will receive a complimentary bound copy of Why character education? on arrival.
Please register here. Places are limited, so register soon to avoid disappointment.